Friday, September 19, 2008

a wife's intuition?

Last Friday, my amazing husband woke up at 4:00 (in the morning!) in order to take Sara and I to the airport. I offered to use a shuttle service, but he promised me that he didn't mind. We had thought that all 3 of our kiddos would have been out cold and would sleep on the way. They were WIDE awake.

And so it was that the five of us made our jolly way to the airport bright and early. Actually, it was still pitch dark outside.

My husband, who travels quite a lot himself, tends to get airport anxiety and felt the need to rush. And so, when we hit the first stop sign, he did a "California stop." At which point, I ever-so-gently reminded him of the police officer who seems to live in our neighborhood during the night. Several of our neighbors have been the recipients of not-so-wonderful gifts. Tickets for parking in the wrong direction or for cars that cross the sidewalk. Ouch.

My husband often tells me that I have the gift of intuition and over the years he has learned to heed my warnings. Guess his brain wasn't fully awake to remind him of that helpful fact. At the second stop sign, he made the (bad) decision to do yet another "California stop" at this stop sign:


Now, granted, it is a stop sign at the end of a new neighborhood construction zone. But, there is a stop sign there. So, about twenty seconds later, the other four of us in the car heard him mutter, "Uh-oh." It's amazing how bright those blue and red lights can be in the early morning hours.

Our children were treated to the surprise of having a flashlight shone in their eyes as our friendly neighborhood police officer walked alongside our car. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at that point. Sure, it's nice to be right sometimes, but not when it results in a large fine.

"Where are you off to so early in the morning?" Mr. Officer asked the humbled husband. "To take my wife to the airport." When asked if he knew why he was stopped, but husband apologized and said that he didn't stop at the stop sign. Not a great way to start the day, I have to say. And, right or not, I really felt bad for Geoff. After all, he did wake up early to drive us to the airport.

After checking Geoff's records, the kind officer returned to the car and gave Geoff a warning and a reminder to stop at stop signs whether it's "4:00 in the afternoon OR in the morning." (As my two older kids now quote verbatim!)

Whew. That was close. I'm thankful for the reminder to Geoff to drive more carefully. After all, he carries my heart with him wherever he goes. (By the way, we did get to the airport right on time. Sara and I had time to grab drinks and then board the plane immediately. Who could ask for better service?)

Thank you God, for warnings and reminders. Please help us all to be more careful when we are behind the wheel. Thank you for blessing me with such a giving husband and allowing me to be LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

No comments: