Friday, September 19, 2008

three important words

"I love you," "I forgive you," and "I am sorry." All great words when put together, but last week I learned a sad lesson about 3 other important words. Those would be "in the back."

You see, I had been putting off haircuts for my two youngest. By the time Thursday came around, I was out of time. Sara and I were leaving early Friday morning for our trip to Colorado. So, off to Crewcuts and Pigtails we went. It's an adorable little hair place for kids. They have a taxi, fire engine and airplane for the little ones to sit in. They also have 3 tv's, one of which is attached to a Playstation.

You can guess where Liam chooses to sit. Yup, in front of the tv playing "Cars." He struggles with sensory issues and will go absolutely nutty trying to sit still while getting his hair cut. I've learned that it's actually worth the few extra dollars to take him to C&P. Prevents the torture (for him and the hairdresser.)

The only problem was that last week's hair cut resulted in a form a torture...and I was the cause! His previous hairdresser was no longer working there. But, she had told me how she cut his hair the last time - which was perfect! So, I went ahead and gave the directions to the new lady and went back over to help supervise Sara who was happily sitting in the fire engine.

After about five minutes, I looked back over at Liam to discover that something had gone terribly wrong. I quickly walked over to the receptionist and asked if there were notes on Liam's account as to how to cut his hair. There weren't. At which point, I whispered in panic, "Uh, I think I told her the wrong instructions!!!" She looked at Liam and then at me with huge eyes...the same huge eyes I was probably looking at her with.

Then those three little words came to mind, "IN THE BACK". Oh my. My precious 7-year-old was now practically bald!!! Well, there was an area of hair on the front section of his head, but that only helped to magnify the fact that this Mommy made a HUGE mistake.

I quickly went over to the hairdresser and said, "I think I got the instructions W-R-O-N-G." Praying that Liam was too into his game to hear me. Funny enough, when I had told her how to cut it, she actually said, "Are you sure? That's really short." And I said, "yes, I know." HELLO!!!

So, the haircut that Liam was supposed to get was a "zero/one blend IN THE BACK, with a 2 on top." Only, I forgot those quaint little words and he got a ZERO in the back and a ONE on top. Here's what my sweet boy looks like a week later. (Mind you, compared to last week, he's looking like a hippie in this picture!):

Liam was fine at the time. Again, the Playstation was a blessing. It wasn't until we got home and he looked in the mirror (unaided by the Playstation) and saw that his bangs had been buzzed as well! They just didn't look right with such short hair. Sigh.

So, in the end, I learned that the other 3 worded phrases were actually useful that day as well. I told him how very sorry I was and that I loved him. Though not terribly happy with me, he told me he forgave me and loved me too.

Today I am LIVING A BLESSED LIFE on account of my son being incredibly forgiving AND the fact that God gave him gorgeous BIG BROWN EYES and a nice shaped head; both of which saved the day and made the short haircut still look decent. :-)

1 comment:

Beth said...

Oh, Amy! It reminds me of my very similar story from my then 8 year old (now almost 23). I was the one giving the haircut and forgot to put on the correct guard. He was oh so sad when it happened but the next day at school, all the boys wanted the same haircut, which made him the "cool" kid. Their moms said, NO! I was forgiven and it is a funny story to retell. Thanks for sharing your blessings in life.

Beth