Tuesday, September 30, 2008

change

Autumn is my favorite season. However, this year I've struggled with letting go of summer. Perhaps it's because of all the fun we enjoyed as a family this year. Or it could be the list of things that I had wanted to fit in, but just wasn't able to. I'm having a harder time embracing the shorter and cooler day; and yet, I absolutely adore seeing the leaves changing color.

Change can be hard. While there are always blessings in the midst of change, there is also a need to surrender things (or people) that we might not want to let go of.

For almost four years, I prayed persistently for my oldest daughter to have close, like-minded Christian friends. As only God can do, He answered my prayer right here in our neighborhood. Actually, one lives across the street and the other is just a few houses down.

Although the girls have lived here since we moved in, their friendships didn't really start to blossom until this past Spring. And blossom they did. Chelsea, Jordynn and Peyton have grown to be incredibly close.

They recently had a sleepover to celebrate Jordynn's birthday. The pictures and videos Chels brought home were priceless. They painted each other's nails, gave each other facials, dressed up, danced, sang, watched movies, laughed, and took photos of each other and their American Girl dolls.

These are the friendships that Chelsea desperately wanted and I earnestly prayed for. Sweet blessings from above.

This week, however, the girls (and I) are feeling incredibly sad. They're still doing their gymnastics in the yard and playing board games on my porch, but there's a sadness that is almost palpable.

You see, God has led Jordynn's family to put their house on the market and move back to Texas. Chels has two more days with her sweet friend. :-(

Life is full of changes. I trust that this experience will be good for Chelsea. I have faith that God does in fact have many, many more friendships to bless her with. I also know that each friendship may be for a particular season, while some will last a lifetime.

However, I also know for many reasons outside of her control, that Chelsea struggles daily to trust God. I know that while all 10-year-olds experience loss and change, this particular change is hitting Chelsea a bit harder than it would most.

My heart aches for her and I can't help but shed tears on her behalf. She feels as though God is calling her friend's family away to hurt her. She believes that if God "really loved her" that He would answer her prayers exactly the way she prayers them. Last week she couldn't understand why God didn't miraculously take her bad cold away.

We've had many long talks, but I know that words alone won't convince her of the truth. Only God can meet Chelsea in this place of sadness and pain and bring healing.

I pray that despite her sadness and doubt that Chelsea will experience healing. I pray that God will use this time to develop a more truthful understanding of His will for her life and trust in His love for her. If you think of my girl this week, would you please lift up a prayer on her behalf? Thanks. :-)

If you're in the midst of change right now, I pray that God would give you eyes to see the new things He is bringing into your life and heart. I pray that despite the loss and pain, that you are able to enjoy LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

2 comments:

HisFireFly said...

Praying that God will do an amazing work in your girl's heart and spirit.

strandfam said...

Amy, I will be praying for beautiful Chelsea. I am thankful God blessed her with this special friendship. May she always know that Jesus loves her and is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. love you Sarah