Friday, August 15, 2008

reflecting on love

"But the greatest of these is love." (1 Corinthians 13:13b)


This morning I woke up reflecting on love and found myself near tears. I have been extremely blessed to be surrounded by extraordinary people whose actions and choices reflect the purest form of love. Isn't it incredible how love spills over onto us when we are able to see it in action?

* Watching my husband fiercly protecting our new daughter as we walked outside her orphanage and onto the busy street in Tianjin. AMAZING LOVE.

* My next door neighbor laying in the grass on his stomach, making his 7-month old son smile, while he gives his wife a much needed break. AMAZING LOVE.

* My compassionate friend praying about adopting a child with significant medical needs. Her heart ready to do whatever God calls her family to do, no matter how difficult. AMAZING LOVE.

* My sweet friend supporting her kids in all of their activities, while also serving the children at church. She's exhausted but chooses to press on. AMAZING LOVE.

* My awesome friend working several jobs, in addition to raising her two boys, enabling her husband to work as a youth pastor at their church. AMAZING LOVE.

* Three of my friends waiting to bring home their second child from China. All three beautiful children have special needs, but honestly, I know my friends see how perfect their new son/daughter are because (not inspite) of their birth defects. AMAZING LOVE.

*My courageous sister doing volunteer work on behalf of adult survivors of childhood abuse. She is faced with stories that no one should have to hear, let alone experience. She is spurred on by the tragic loss of her friend, whose abuse left him so wounded that he ended his own life in an effort to try escape the pain. AMAZING LOVE.

*My beautiful friend raising six spectacular children--one she was blessed with through marriage, two through birth, one from China and two from Ethiopia. She and her husband are completing paperwork for a child with down-syndrome here in the US. AMAZING LOVE.

* My selfless friend raising two children on her own, working a job she really doesn't enjoy, simply because it provides well for her family. AMAZING LOVE.

* My Savior choosing to endure torture, taunting, rejection and death on a cross, all for me (and you), even when my own love fails to hit the mark on my worst days. UNFATHOMABLE LOVE.

These are only a handful of examples of the amazing love that humble me on a daily basis.

Thank you, my Beautiful Friends and my Amazing Savior, it is because of you, that I am LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

4 comments:

HisFireFly said...

What a beautiful post! Thank you for opening our eyes to see the love that surrounds us. So often we take it for granted, even His unspeakable love!

Dawn said...

Amy,
You never cease to amaze me!!! I love seeing new posts on your blog because they are so inspiring!!!
Much love to you today friend!!! CO here we come... yippeeeee
Love you
DD

Becki party of 5 said...

Beautiful post, as always, Amy! :) Your posts always give me such inspiration...maybe you could just write one a day, and it can be my new devotional!? I"m sure you have time for that!
I just adore that picture of G and S in China....can't believe how teeny she was. Our girls are getting so big.
Love to you!
B.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post.

Pam