Thursday, July 10, 2008

babylizzyparrotturtlehoppameleon


Have you ever felt like you just didn't quite belong? That while you may have some things in common with the people in your life, that maybe somewhere there was a friend with whom you had a lot in common. "Cut from the same cloth," I believe the saying is.

I just finished reading my youngest a book called "Babylizzyparrotturtlehoppameleon." It's on my top 10 of best children's books because the message is great AND it's really fun to read.

When I was in high school, one of my closest friends decided she didn't want to be my friend anymore because I was a Christian. It came out of the blue and really hurt at the time. Through the years, I've experienced similar losses, some more significant than others. All the while, I've felt like I "just didn't fit."

I've shared many times with my mentor that my heart's desire is to belong and be accepted without needing to significantly morph myself to fit in. I'm just beginning to understand this unique person that God created me to be. After being rejected by my parents and siblings as a young adult, I truly felt that there was something seriously wrong with me. (Isn't it great that no pain is ever wasted in God's Kingdom! He has allowed me to experience this pain and loss to better understand His love and acceptance for me. He is also using my experience of rejection to give me the ability to better love and support my youngest daughter in her journey.)

As the main character in the book, a frog, goes about his journey, he searches for someone who is like him. Towards the end of the story, he believes that he is part bush baby, part lizard, part parrot, part turtle, part grasshopper and part chameleon. Each one of the animals recognize that they share similar traits, but every one tells the little frog to go away. (sniff...)

My favorite part of the story is when the frog comments about how special his long name is, but that he would "trade it all for just one friend." (At which part I always tear up! I'm tellin' ya, it's a GREAT book!) :-) The book ends when the frog finally lands next to an animal that truly is "his kind" and they both hop off together into the sunset. Very sweet.

As I shared in my last post, I was incredibly blessed at the She Speaks Conference. Blown away, actually. There were approximately 560 women in attendance. As I sat in the opening session which was given by the beautiful (and wonderfully transparent) Lysa TerKeurst, I felt surrounded by "my kind," and it was P H E N O M I N A L!!!

No, we weren't identical, rather awesomely unique. And yet, each one of us had been called by God to write and/or speak for HIM. Our Creator has written beautiful stories upon each of our hearts and placed a passion within us to glorify Him through our words. As I listened to Lysa share one of the many stories God has written on her heart, I felt much like the frog in the story. A true sense of belonging. I can only imagine what Heaven will be like. Wow.

If you're still hopping from place to place wondering where you belong, I pray that God will allow you a tiny peak at just how incredibly amazing, beautiful and unique YOU are! For I know that you were made in image of the Creator of the universe and His creations are absolutely breathtaking.

As He begins to reveal your true self to you, I know that He will also show you the purpose to which He has called you. It's in knowing our Creator, allowing Him to love us, being able to love and accept ourselves, and sharing ourselves and our love with others that we are able to say (and believe) that we are LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

2 comments:

XYXYmom said...

I gotta get this book!! I love what you have to say and I miss you big!! Your publishing breakthrough has got to be right around the corner. Beautiful thoughts.
Much love,
Tara
XOXO
Table 20

Truth4thejourney said...

This is a great post! We need to remember that we are fearfully and wonderfully made, unique and just the way He wanted us to be.